[systemd-devel] [RFC] Writing syslog Daemons Which Cooperate Nicely With systemd

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Aug 30 12:13:50 PDT 2011

Heya,

I just put together a text on the wiki explaining what to do to write a
syslog service that is nicely integrated with systemd, and does all the
right things. It's supposed to be a checklist for all syslog hackers.

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/syslog

rsyslog already implements everything on this list afaics, and that's
pretty cool. If other implementations want to catch up, please consider
following these recommendations, too.

I put this together since I am planning to change systemd 35 to set
StandardOutput=syslog as default, so that all stdout/stderr of all
services automatically ends up in syslog. And since that change requires
some (minimal) changes to all syslog implementations I decided to
document this all properly (if you are curious: they need to set
StandardOutput=null to opt out of this default in order to avoid logging
loops).

Anyway, please have a peek and comment if you spot a mistake or
something I forgot. Or if you have questions, just ask.

Thanks,

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.