[systemd-devel] Linux Journal API/client lib

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Sat Dec 3 09:12:36 PST 2011

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 17:36, Rainer Gerhards <rgerhards at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 5:18 PM, Kay Sievers <kay.sievers at vrfy.org> wrote:

> One more question on the integration part. We now know that rsyslog
> needs to read the journal and convert that into proper syslog format.
> Given my experience with the Windows Event Log, I know that I need
> some handle to tell the system "please give me everything from
> checkpoint x and above". In Windows, I have unique keys for such
> checkpoints, so that I know exactly to query from where. Is it your
> intention to provide such a handle as well (I know I could check the
> code, but that would give me just the current state and not what your
> intention towards that thing is). It is important that the handle is
> consistent and valid across reboot sessions. I guess you could use the
> hash? Maybe that's the way things will work?

It's called a 'cursor', a text string that is portable even across
machines, it will point to the closest possible record in the stream.
In the idea it's like the git commit hash that identifies a commit, in
the journal context it's just not a number but a magic text string
with multiple values which are matched against the data in the journal
streams.

Kay