[systemd-devel] Raid device issue

Ken Bass kbass at kenbass.com
Thu Dec 8 13:00:42 PST 2011

On 12/8/2011 3:45 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I think that you are looking at
> the meaning of cryptsetup.target in a wrong way: cryptsetup.target
> comes after all encrypted devices configured in /etc/crypttab are
> ready. So it makes sense to do something with After=cryptsetup.target
> (== after all encrypted devices have been opened), but not with
> Before=cryptsetup.target.
>
> I guess that you might have to declare the ordering dependence between
> mnt-subkey.mount with Before=cryptsetup at encrypt_storage.service directly.

Hi Zbyszek,

I understand what you are saying and perhaps I am looking at it from a
different angle. But the problem with your suggestion is that it is a
non-generic way to handle it. The 'cryptsetup at encrypt_storage.service '
is completely dependent on whatever is listed in the /etc/crypttab and
that could be changed by the user at any time. If that /etc/crypttab
entry was renamed or commented out, the dependency would mysteriously
break. Maybe there needs to be a cryptsetup-begin.target and
cryptsetup-done.target instead? I don't think its is far stretch to want
to ensure some happens before ANY encrypted devices has been opened.