[systemd-devel] stopping timed out. Killing ?

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Thu Dec 22 04:21:02 PST 2011

On 12/22/2011 10:37 AM, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 10:26:06AM +0100, Steve Traylen wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I've been trying to create a service file for myproxy as below, the
>> startup is okay but then
>> 30 seconds later:
>>
>> [Service]
>> Type=fork
>
>    Type= should be "forking".  "fork" is not correct and systemd defaults to
> "simple" probably. You can check with:
>
> systemctl show -p Type myproxy-server.service

Yes, the type defaults to simple, if is defined erroneously.
A warning is printed to logs:

systemd[1]: [/etc/systemd/system/testforking2.service:4] Failed to parse service type, ignoring: fork

$ systemctl show -p Type testforking2.service
Type=simple

The manpage says: "If systemd encounters an unknown option it will write
a warning log message but continue loading the unit."
I guess that this also means "an invalid value of an option", but this
is not obvious. And sometimes could be dangerous: e.g. if systemd ignores options
like User= or RootDirectory=, if set to something invalid.

Zbyszek