[systemd-devel] Startup sequence of units pulled by other units with Before/After dependencies

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sun Feb 13 13:53:42 PST 2011

On Sat, 12.02.11 13:14, Andrey Borzenkov (arvidjaar at gmail.com) wrote:

heya!

> graphical.target has After=multi-user.target. Does it mean, that any
> unit, pulled in by graphical.target, will be started only after
> multi-user.target startup is completed? That is what I actually see on
> my system, just wants to confirm whether this is intentional and can
> be relied upon.

We generally try to start things as early as possible. That means that
if graphical.target pulls in multi-user.target we will individually look
at the units and start each one of them as early as possible, according
to the ordering deps they themselves include.

Or in other words: no, the units graphical.target pulls in will not be
delayed until after multi-user.target. We start them as early as
possible. And unless you configured DefaultDependencies=no for them this
means they are started right after base.target and not a moment later.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.