[systemd-devel] Check for plymouth (e1b2b49465615727a2c3883d06d1b9ff339aec67)

Andrey Borzenkov arvidjaar at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 00:05:09 PST 2011

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 12:22 AM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> And last but most importantly: We strongly encourage all distros to
> adopt dracut as initrd implementation. There's no hard dependency from
> systemd to dracut, but if you use dracut you will get a number of
> features you otherwise will miss. In addition to the plymouth
> optimization above this is for example that profiling info is passed
> from dracut to systemd and information about fsck-on-root-from-initrd.

Could you elaborate about fsck-on-root-from-initrd? How is systemd
made aware that dracut checked root file system?

> There's very little point in every distro maintaining their own initrd
> implementation. Dracut appears to us to be the best implementation in
> existance and Harald is very open to cooperation with other distros and
> hence we try to gently push everbody to adopt initrd in their
> distros. And let me make explicitly clear that we use this "weak
> dependency" between systemd and dracut as a means to achieve that.

Well, personally I am quite fond of dracut and using it for quite some
time and do all I can to integrate it in distro I use (Mandriva). It
just not my choice what is used by default :)

>> I would really prefer to see generic ConditionCommandStatus and simply
>> use
>
> Well, we do this all to make it unnecessary to spawn off one more
> process. Doing ConditionCommandStatus= would necessarily spawn one more.

I see. Yes, that makes sense.