[systemd-devel] Mounting /dev/pts

Andrey Borzenkov arvidjaar at mail.ru
Tue Feb 15 02:49:08 PST 2011

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 6:42 AM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 22.01.11 20:35, Andrey Borzenkov (arvidjaar at mail.ru) wrote:
>
>> > I guess Wulf's point isn't, that options in /etc/fstab are not applied
>> > but rather that systemd should mount /dev/pts with those options.
>>
>> I would very much prefer systemd to respect .mount unit also for API
>> filesystems - or is it already the case? This would allow distro to
>> supply proper options without need to change existing setup for
>> non-systemd case (i.e. mounting /dev/pts in boot script with fixed
>> options).
>
> Currently you can only apply options to API vfs via fstab entries, not
> via native systmd unit files, since systemd will refuse to instantiate
> units for these API vfs mount points, since it considers them special.
>
> It probably makes sense to allow administrators change mount options for
> these API vfs in some cases though (for example, to allow changing the
> max size of the tmpfs), so I added to the todo list now and item so hat
> I don't forget adding this eventually. Not sure how exactly this will be
> looking like though.
>
> That said, I do wonder what kind of options you are thinking of here. It
> is definitely our intention to get all distros to use the same options
> for the api vfs. If we do allow changing these options then this should
> be something for the admins, not for the distributors. So, what exactly
> do you have in mind?

Mostly migrating from older init scripts to systemd. I agree that in
perfect future it probably won't be necessary, but right now changing
defaults that were used in a distro may have unpredictable hard to
debug effects.

Although in this case may be distro-specific patch is even better, it
will also make it obvious that defaults are changed and easier to
remove in the future.