[systemd-devel] Limiting resources

Mike Kazantsev mk.fraggod at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 20:43:34 PST 2011

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 14:37:41 +0100
Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 22.02.11 12:33, Cristian Patrascu (Cristian.Patrascu at windriver.com) wrote:

> I'd be happy to merge a patch that adds native switches to systemd for
> the most relevant cgroup settings of the various hierarchies. For example,
> an option like the following would rock:
>
> CPUShares=2048
> CPUSetCPUs=2,3
>
> which would implicitly add "cpu" and "cpuset" to the list the user can
> otherwise control with ControlGroup=, and then write "2048" resp. "2,3"
> to the cpu.shares resp. cpuset.cpus files in the per-daemon cgroups in
> those directories.

Just wanted to note that knobs in cgroup fs seem to be added on
per-release basis (next up: cpu usage hard-limit, hierarchical blkio),
plus there's usually lot of them, so maybe it'd make sense not to
duplicate (or even mangle) their names like that, but make a generic
options to set any named parameters, like this:

  ControlGroupCPU=shares=300
  ControlGroupBLKIO=weight=500 throttle.read_bps_device=1000

Looking into cgroup-systemd translation table to find out which knob
is used for CPUSetCPUs (and maintaining such table in the first place)
seem like a waste of time.

But then I don't have a patch with that implementation, too.

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net