[systemd-devel] /usr on separate file system

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Fri Feb 25 10:21:22 PST 2011

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 19:09, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> Matthew Miller (mattdm at mattdm.org) said:
>> On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 04:23:27PM +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> > Well, it hasn't been working correctly in ages. It's really not new
>> > policy we came up with here. It's just a warning to the user that setups
>> > like this will break. End of story.
>>
>> Is this flagged for the Fedora 15 release notes?
>
> Speaking as a non-systemd maintainer, IMO:
>
> - Issues that arise with separate /usr should likely be fixed

D-Bus has its config there, we rely on D-Bus, so this would be the
first thing to fix. Unless this is done, the warning is really useful.
It's more like a "taint" flag that tells "you are on your own here"
than anything else.

It's similar to udev, nothing really in udev relies on /usr, but sure
things go wrong in non-interesting ways, and I stopped caring what
people do in their udev rules, and just tell everybody to copy /usr
over to the rootfs. :)

Kay