[systemd-devel] /usr on separate file system

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Feb 25 11:41:11 PST 2011

On Fri, 25.02.11 13:09, Bill Nottingham (notting at redhat.com) wrote:

> Matthew Miller (mattdm at mattdm.org) said:
> > On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 04:23:27PM +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > > Well, it hasn't been working correctly in ages. It's really not new
> > > policy we came up with here. It's just a warning to the user that setups
> > > like this will break. End of story.
> >
> > Is this flagged for the Fedora 15 release notes?
>
> Speaking as a non-systemd maintainer, IMO:
>
> - Issues that arise with separate /usr should likely be fixed

This is not really how we are handling things on Fedora right now. As
far as I know there have never been attempts to move all the deps of
udisks and the pci/usb database to /, have there? And to be frank, I
really wouldn't want to move those, anyway.

Sure, in theory one could "fix" all those packages. But that would mean
a whole boatload of things would have to move to /.

I think it is simpler to just give up on seperate /usr, since there is
really no good reason to split it off anyway. Folks who want to do ro
/usr are aiming too low, they should go for ro /.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.