[systemd-devel] v19: plymouth-quit-wait waits forever/no getty

Andrey Borzenkov arvidjaar at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 23:58:24 PST 2011

With unit restructuring I now have VM that stays there without ever
spawning getty in multi-user.target

There are two problems associated with it

1) plymouth-quit is not ever started. I do not understand why - it is
queued, and it should be started after rc-local.service is finished
and it is not. Log attached.

2) getty's now are ordered after plymouth-quit-wait, so they are never
started until plymouth --wait finishes. But it never finishes because
plymouth-quit is never run. Unfortunately, TimeoutSec is not applied
to oneshot units so it just sits there forever. Patch attached. After
booting with it I see that plymouth-quit is actually run but apprently
*after* plymouthquit-wait which has failed.

[root at localhost ~]# systemctl status plymouth-quit.service
plymouth-quit.service - Terminate Plymouth Boot Screen
          Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/plymouth-quit.service)
          Active: inactive (dead) since Thu, 03 Mar 2011 17:16:32
-0500; 2min 41s ago
         Process: 1448 ExecStart=/bin/plymouth quit (code=exited,
status=0/SUCCESS)
          CGroup: name=systemd:/system/plymouth-quit.service
[root at localhost ~]# systemctl status plymouth-quit-wait.service
plymouth-quit-wait.service - Wait for Plymouth Boot Screen to Quit
          Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/plymouth-quit-wait.service)
          Active: failed since Thu, 03 Mar 2011 17:16:31 -0500; 2min 44s ago
        Main PID: 917
          CGroup: name=systemd:/system/plymouth-quit-wait.service

Offhand: it would be *really* nice to have here explanation *why*
service failed. You cannot expect people searching for this in logs
every time, really.

systemd[1]: plymouth-quit-wait.service operation timed out. Terminating.