[systemd-devel] Mounting /dev/pts

Wulf C. Krueger philantrop at exherbo.org
Mon Jan 3 15:24:38 PST 2011

Hello,

currently, /dev/pts is mounted without the usual options by systemd.

If /dev/pts is not mounted with the GID of the tty group, glibc (it assumes
tty as the group name, too) runs pt_chown which is generally undesirable since
it needs to be setuid (and is owned by root) and according to grantpt(3) "With
Linux devpts no such helper binary is required".

Furthermore, having glibc run pt_chown effectively prevents strace -f'ing any
program that creates a pty (assuming it checks for errors properly), e. g.
strace -f urxvt.

Setting mode=0620 should be done as well as it makes "mesg y" the default on
newly created PTYs (cf. mount(8)) which allows using write(1p).

Both options are, to the best of my knowledge, commonly used among Linux
distros when mounting /dev/pts.

I have tried to come up with a patch myself but failed disgracefully, I'm
afraid.

Best regards, Wulf