[systemd-devel] Mounting /dev/pts

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jan 3 16:22:33 PST 2011

On Tue, 04.01.11 01:14, Michael Biebl (mbiebl at gmail.com) wrote:

> > Hmm, I normally would be happy to do that, but I am a bit concerned
> > about the gid=tty parameter. Before we pass that off to the kernel we'd
> > have to look that up and pass a numeric gid on. But doing NSS queries
> > from PID 1 is a little bit dangerous. Hence I'd actually prefer if
> > people apply this in /etc/fstab.
> >
> > Ideas? Suggestions?
>
> The mountdevsubfs init script does indeed use a numeric value (= 5)
> for gid as that is guaranteed to be tty on Debian.
> I just checked a Ubuntu 10.10,  Fedora 14 and openSUSE 11.4 system and
> they all use tty:5.
>
> If this is an assumption though that can be safely made accros distros, I dunno.

Hmm, we could lookup the ID in a configure check at build time which
fails if the "tty" group doesn't exist. I guess that wouldn't be too
bad. Might have weird effects on cross-compilation possibly -- but if we
provide --with-tty-gid= as configure parameter this should be fine.

Anybody has a good reason why we shouldn't solve this with a
compile-time NSS lookup?

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.