[systemd-devel] Mounting /dev/pts

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jan 3 17:02:36 PST 2011

On Tue, 04.01.11 01:23, Wulf C. Krueger (philantrop at exherbo.org) wrote:

> > Hmm, I normally would be happy to do that, but I am a bit concerned
> > about the gid=tty parameter. Before we pass that off to the kernel we'd
> > have to look that up and pass a numeric gid on.
>
> Yes, that's what I failed at. :)

OK, commited a patch now which semi-hardcodes tty=5. It can be overriden
with --with-tty-gid= on compile time. However, at this point given that
all distros use tty=5 somebody doing this for tty!=5 is a nasty boy, and
I'll tell his mom.

This should fix your issues. Please test!

> > Hence I'd actually prefer if people apply this in /etc/fstab.
>
> Well, that would work for new installations but programatically fiddling with
> an existing fstab is, IMHO, dangerous, too. I can't really compare that with
> the dangers of NSS lookups in early userspace, though.

tbh i hadn't thought about the upgrade path issue.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.