[systemd-devel] syslog.socket vs. syslog.service

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Jan 6 16:45:13 PST 2011

On Fri, 03.12.10 15:19, Marius Tolzmann (tolzmann at molgen.mpg.de) wrote:

> hi..
>
> i have configured a syslog.service which works well..
>
> but the syslog.socket which activated systemd-kmsg-syslog.service is
> still active and running.. the socket does not activate the service
> anymore but it is still listed as listening..

Yepp, there's a bit of work outstanding I haven yet submitted upstream
to rsyslog: both rsyslog and the bridge should refer to the same
syslog.socket instead of creating two socket units which internally
refer to the same OS socket, but are named differently.

This should not be a big problem right now, given that syslog.socket
starts first and rsyslog.socket second and the latter simply removes the
earlier socket in the FS so everything should be working more or less,
but it's not really correct.

> how is this supposed to be configured correctly.. since i think i
> need the systemd-kmsg-syslog as long as my syslog.service ist not
> running and able to write its logfiles to the filesystem.. ??
> but how do i get rid of this socket activated /dev/log handling and
> replace it with my syslog.service completely?

Well, basically, rsyslog.service needs to get a Sockets= line that
refers to syslog.socket. And it also needs a line
ExecStartPre=/bin/systemctl stop systemd-syslog-kmsg.service. And that
should be it. However, since I haven't tested this in all detail yet
this didn't go upstream yet.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.