[systemd-devel] systemd "hangs" for several minutes on shutdown if it gets "service force-reload" request

Tollef Fog Heen tfheen at err.no
Fri Jan 14 00:19:34 PST 2011

]] Lennart Poettering

| > What I wonder in this case, why vnstat.service/reload appears to hang
| > in this case? The job itself fails during startup (initscript is
| > disabled, so it gets indirect request from ifup and does nothing):
|
| Does this probelm still exist?
|
| Most likely this is simply an ordering deadlock: systemd executes
| something that asks systemd to execute something else which however is
| order after the first unit. That is is not really fixable. At least I
| am have no idea what we could do about this.

We should at least print out/log what's happening when this happens.

Slightly related, it'd be really nice if we could have a way to poke
systemd to dump state.  I'm trying to track down a problem where boot
takes a while, and spawning extra shells and using serial consoles kinda
work, but it doesn't work that great.

--
Tollef Fog Heen