[systemd-devel] lighttp unit - graceful reload of configfiles by sending signal to $MAINPID

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jan 17 15:23:22 PST 2011

On Tue, 11.01.11 09:54, Alexander E. Patrakov (patrakov at gmail.com) wrote:

> instances of lighttpd to coexist for some time. See: after SIGINT,
> the old instance does not listen on port 80, but continues servicing
> large downloads that are still in progress. The new instance accepts
> new connections and handles them. The old instance will exit as soon
> as all old transfers ard completed.

How is this implemented in detail? Sending SIGINT is async, so at the
time you start the new instance you cannot be sure that the old instance
has stopped listening? And as I understood SO_REUSEADDR doesn't help you
around this, since the kernel will still not allow two sockets to be
bound to the same address when in listening state.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.