[systemd-devel] lighttp unit - graceful reload of configfiles by sending signal to $MAINPID

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jan 17 15:48:40 PST 2011

On Tue, 11.01.11 20:11, Alexander E. Patrakov (patrakov at gmail.com) wrote:

> >There is no way you can notify systemd that the failed reload
> >attempt was just a test prior to executing the real reload command
> >(e.g. there is no ExecReloadPre or the like). (If a service keeps
> >running I won't check syslog..)
>
> When the config is bad and the additional ExecReload line is
> present, systemd does tell me that reload failed. So I have a good
> reason to check syslog, and even am suggested by systemd to do so.

What systemd currently does is:

    If the reload fails it shutdowns the service and informs you about
    the failure.

What systemd probably should do (and what is now in the TODO list) is:

    If the reload fails it should leave the service as is but informs
    you about the failure.

That should make it easy to plug in check scripts via the ExecReload
directive and make the need of an additional directive unnecessary.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.