[systemd-devel] [RFC] Preset Files

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Tue Jul 5 23:58:53 PDT 2011

On Tuesday, July 05, 2011 21:21:03 Lennart Poettering wrote:
> Heya,
>
> many of you probably saw Frederic's rpm macros suggested here. This got
> Kay and me thinking about implementing something like "presets" in
> systemd, and before we go and implement that we'd like to hear your
> opinions on it. This would go hand in hand with Frederic's macros, and
> both would be included in the upstream systemd package.
>
> So what's a "preset" supposed to be?
>
> Distributions have different policies on enabling services by
> default. On Fedora services should default to off, with a small number of
> exceptions. On Debian OTOH all services are enabled by default. Fedora

openSUSE has a similar policy as Fedora: Only a few are enabled, the default
is off.

I understood the proposal that you can implement this or other policies.

This also allows to ship different policies in - perhaps - conflicting
packages, e.g. a (specific) server or a desktop preset.

Good idea, you have my vote ;). But let me send this to the opensuse-packaging
mailing list to ask for additional comments.

Thanks for a well-thought proposal,
Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger, Program Manager openSUSE
  aj@{suse.com,opensuse.org} Twitter/Identica: jaegerandi