[systemd-devel] On writing a systemd service file

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jul 11 14:01:41 PDT 2011

On Mon, 11.07.11 22:43, Michael Biebl (mbiebl at gmail.com) wrote:

> 2011/7/11 W. Michael Petullo <mike at flyn.org>:
> > I am trying to migrate a service from a SysV-style initialization script
> > to systemd on Fedora.
> >
> > After referencing the documentation I could find, I have written the
> > following service description:
> >
> > [Unit]
> > Description=DMAP Service
> > After=avahi-daemon.service
>
> Given that avahi-daemon can be socket activated, you don't really need that.
> That said, I dunno it Fedora installs avahi socket activatable.

Of course we do!

But you are right, the After= is is not needed. In fact it even has a
ngeative effect, since this will disable the parallel start-up of Avahi
and dmap, which socket activation actually allows us to do.

So, Michael, please consider removing that line!

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.