[systemd-devel] using systemd for user-specific services

Tim Cuthbertson tim at gfxmonk.net
Tue Jul 19 03:43:06 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I've seen systemd described as a system & session manager, I was
wondering how far the session manager aspect could be taken. Is it
possible to have services run on a per-user basis, that don't require
root access to configure or run?

I'd like to use systemd's features to provide services for the
duration of my own login, but don't want to have to configure them
system-wide (sometimes for purity of my non-home partition which I
replace from time to time, sometimes because it is a machine that I
may not even have root access to).

If you would like an example, something I currently run (in a very
hacky way) on login is edit-server
http://gfxmonk.net/dist/0install/edit-server.xml
This is a simple local HTTP server that runs on port 9292
(configurable), and there's no need to make it available system-wide.

If it's not possible now, do you think there is much chance of it
being considered in the future?

Cheers,
 - Tim.