[systemd-devel] yum-updateonboot with Systemd

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Jul 21 08:30:29 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 09:30:27AM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> This sounds backwards to me why arent you doing the updates before shutdown
> instead so for example you would boot into a new kernel.

The pathological case is a system which has been shut off for the summer.
When it comes back on, you don't want it to be instantly rooted with the big
exploit that was patched in July but not yet applied on this system since it
was off.

Ideally, you do what you're suggesting, but you also want to cover the other
side too.