[systemd-devel] systemd-vconsole-setup: /usr/bin/setfont failed with error code 71

Yegor Gemba gembay at ethz.ch
Thu Jun 2 16:16:01 PDT 2011

Hello,
I am testing systemd on Arch Linux and I get following errors:

<30>systemd-vconsole-setup[59]: putfont: KDFONTOP: Invalid argument
<28>systemd-vconsole-setup[59]: /usr/bin/setfont failed with error code 71.

/etc/vconsole.conf is:
KEYMAP=de-latin1-nodeadkeys
FONT=ter-v20n # this font is actually installed

systemd fails to set the desired console font and I get the default one.
I am able to overcome the problem by changing the
systemd-vconsole-setup.service from
#
After=systemd-readahead-collect.service systemd-readahead-replay.service
Before=sysinit.target shutdown.target
#
#
After=sysinit.target
Before=shutdown.target
#
the only explanation I find is that /usr/bin/setfont can only set fonts on
framebuffer consoles and if it's run before udev (which, in my case, brings up
radeon module, which, in its turn, brings up fb console) it can not set font
on non-fb console.
systemd-vconsole-setup.service should probably take this into account.

–– Yegor