[systemd-devel] tmux / screen

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Jun 15 12:17:15 PDT 2011

On Fri, 27.05.11 16:45, Christian Hesse (list at eworm.de) wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I've set up pam to use pam_systemd.so. This way tmux and screen work,
> but other processes started in this session will continue to run after
> the user logs out.
>
> I would like to set kill-user=1 or kill-session=1, but that breaks tmux
> and screen.
> What is the correct fix for that? Do these applications need
> support for pam? Calling pam_systemd themself and getting their own
> cgroup could workaround this, doesn't it?

Yes, if screen should be considered an independent session then it
should invoke the PAM session hooks and systemd will do the right thing.

In order not to break screen we currently do not set kill-user=1 or
kill-session=1.

Note that in some cases it might be a good thing to kill screen sessions
when the user otherwise logs out (think university, where students not
logged in on a workstation should not be able to waste CPU), in other
cases its a bad thing however (i.e. in yours). That means it must be
configurable whether screen is considered an independent session or not.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.