[systemd-devel] Problem with netwrok broadband modem

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jun 27 04:54:54 PDT 2011

On Fri, 24.06.11 15:59, Christian Gagneraud (chris at techworks.ie) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use a USB broadband modem with ofono and connman, when
> i plug the modem, i get an error from systemd "Failed to load device
> unit: Invalid argument" (full log below).

Hmm, this smells like a bug in systemd.

Do you have any service file for this device installed?

> Is it looking for a dev-tty at .device file?

Yes, but usually this should just fail with ENOENT and be ignored. For
some reason this generates EINVAL for you however.

> As i'm having trouble to get ofono working, I wonder if the problem
> doesn't come from here instead, or even perhaps it's due to the
> manufaturer and serial number of the USB device being garbage...

That could actually be. Of course we should fix systemd to handle this.

I wonder how I could easily reproduce this issue here, without that hw.

My first guess is that i's actually the length of the name, and not the
contents of it that triggers the EINVAL.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.