[systemd-devel] encrypted /var with systemd - impossible?

yoshi watanabe yoshi314 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 05:49:32 PDT 2011

Hi list (again) ;)

In short : my setup is as follows - i have my / on ssd, so i decided
to move /var over to regular hdd. which is entirely encrypted (lvm
inside luks, /var is one of lvm volumes).

This works just fine on various distributions i tried
(gentoo,arch,exherbo,probably opensuse as well), usually with dracut
as initrd system and their default init systems.

when using systemd, regardless of underlying distribution, system does
not boot correctly. it usually locks up somewhere during boot, waiting
for something.

i tried it with clean default fedora 15 install (just set up /var as
encrypted lvm partition), i also tried it with exherbo and with
gentoo. they all either get stuck, or boot up into half-working
environment.

i suppose that kind of setup appears to be totally
systemd-incompatible. or is it a bug?