[systemd-devel] [HEADSUP] We no longer spawn 6 gettys by default

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Jun 30 08:22:02 PDT 2011

On Wed, 29.06.11 15:54, Stef Bon (stefbon at gmail.com) wrote:

> Ok, I did not expect this. Ok, stupid idea, forget it.
>
> But what about the "log console", redirecting log to one of the
> virtual consoles, reachable via alt-fx?

Well, systemd doesn't really log to the console usually, it does so only
indirectly, via kmsg, i.e. the kernel logging subsystem, which is
usually connected to tty0, which is the current foreground virtual
terminal. You can redirect the loggind console with console= on the
kernel cmdline.

What systemd writes directly to the console bypassing the kernel log
buffer are only the messages "Starting foo..." and "Started foo." Those
go to /dev/console, and hence can be controlled via console= too.

In summary, presumably console=tty8 (or suchlike) on the kernel cmdline
should do what you are asking for (though I have never tried that with a
VT, usually people use console= only for serial terminals and similar).

If you play around with this, would be cool to report back!

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.