[systemd-devel] /usr on separate file system

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Mar 3 09:45:21 PST 2011

On Thu, 03.03.11 17:58, Tollef Fog Heen (tfheen at err.no) wrote:

> ]] Lennart Poettering
>
> | > To boot a system, enough must be present on the root partition to
> | > mount other filesystems. This includes utilities, configuration,
> | > boot loader information, and other essential start-up data. /usr,
> | > /opt, and /var are designed such that they may be located on other
> | > partitions or filesystems.
> |
> | Well, turns out no distro really follows the spec here, do they?
>
> Given the number of Debian people I see running with separate /usr, I
> believe it works just fine there and while it's a supported
> configuration I'll patch the warning out of the Debian systemd packages,
> at least.

Well, it's of course up to you guys what you do there.

But it's a promise you are making there that you cannot keep. If you
want to support /usr on a separate partition then you'd need to do all
the work and move the PCI and USB databases to /, move libatasmart,
fix udisks, fix D-Bus and so on.

The least you should do is add a warning about this to your release
notes.

The fact that most these things fail relatively gracefully should not
mislead you to believe that everything worked fine. Things still fail,
just not in a big gigantic atomic explosion scenario.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.