[systemd-devel] [PACKAGERS] Packaging systemd >= 20

Andrey Borzenkov arvidjaar at mail.ru
Fri Mar 4 19:44:13 PST 2011

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 1:41 AM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> Heya,
>
> Here's a little headsup to all packagers, regarding packaging of systemd
> v20 (which isn't released yet):
>
> With v20 we introduced /etc/machine-id, which needs special attention
> when packaging.
>
> First, here's a bit of background regarding this new feature:
>
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dbus/2011-March/014187.html
>
> All that you need to add to the installation or upgrade scriptlets of
> your systemd package is invoke /bin/systemd-machine-id-setup. That will
> generate the file as necessary. And you probably should include an
> *empty* /etc/machine-id file in your package so that if needed systemd
> can bind mount the id into that.
>
> And then, optionally, symlink /var/lib/dbus/machine-id →
> /etc/machine-id. But you probably want to do that in the dbus package,
> not systemd. But this is optional, but recommended to make clear that
> this is actually the same thing when the user browses through his
> directories.

What do you mean - optional? Unless d-bus is patched to look at
/etc/machine-id (or is informed about this location by some other
means) it will never even know about this file. So symlink
/var/lib/dbus/machine-id -> /etc/machine-id is actually a
prerequisite.

Even better would be to patch D-Bus  to look there :) Actually,
without it early activation (presumably, even before /var is mounted)
of D-Bus becomes impossible anyway, as it will miss machine-id.

Or do I miss something obvious?