[systemd-devel] /usr on separate file system

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Mon Mar 7 07:18:16 PST 2011

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 16:04, Dr. Werner Fink <werner at suse.de> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 05:09:03PM +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:

>> > This does seem odd. Might I also point out...

>> > To boot a system, enough must be present on the root partition to mount other
>> > filesystems. This includes utilities, configuration, boot loader information,
>> > and other essential start-up data. /usr, /opt, and /var are designed such that
>> > they may be located on other partitions or filesystems.
>>
>> Well, turns out no distro really follows the spec here, do they?
>
> Hmmm ... AFAIK we do.  If things do not work, then it has to be fixed
> as we have users/customers around definitely use this feature.

I doubt anybody will be able to fix all the issues. These customers
need to copy /usr to the rootfs if they want a supported system
running systemd.

>> I think this is mostly wishful thinking by some folks who wrote the FHS,
>> and does not describe what really is.
>
> As FHS specs are part of the LSB, all Enterprise prooducts should
> follow the FHS.

LSB documents practice and can not dictate anything. Most distros do
not care much what's written there.

We are about to change some of the practice now, and I guess LSB needs
to be updated. :)

Kay