[systemd-devel] /usr on separate file system

Dr. Werner Fink werner at suse.de
Mon Mar 7 07:44:31 PST 2011

On Mon, Mar 07, 2011 at 04:18:16PM +0100, Kay Sievers wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 16:04, Dr. Werner Fink <werner at suse.de> wrote:
> >
> > Hmmm ... AFAIK we do.  If things do not work, then it has to be fixed
> > as we have users/customers around definitely use this feature.
>
> I doubt anybody will be able to fix all the issues. These customers
> need to copy /usr to the rootfs if they want a supported system
> running systemd.

Those customers have payed for support including this feature
and some of them exactly for this feature.  I'm not going to
ignore this hard requirement for snugness.  If it is not possible
for systemd to fulfille the LSB spec systemd is not ready for
Enterprise products.

It has to be possible to fulfill FHS not only in theory but
in practice.  That is that if an network interface has to up
for the NFS share /usr then systemd should support this.

> >> I think this is mostly wishful thinking by some folks who wrote the FHS,
> >> and does not describe what really is.
> >
> > As FHS specs are part of the LSB, all Enterprise prooducts should
> > follow the FHS.
>
> LSB documents practice and can not dictate anything. Most distros do
> not care much what's written there.

As already told, this is wrong.

> We are about to change some of the practice now, and I guess LSB needs
> to be updated. :)

You may try it.  Now let us see what happens.

   Werner