[systemd-devel] /usr on separate file system

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Mon Mar 7 07:50:16 PST 2011

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 16:44, Dr. Werner Fink <werner at suse.de> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 07, 2011 at 04:18:16PM +0100, Kay Sievers wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 16:04, Dr. Werner Fink <werner at suse.de> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hmmm ... AFAIK we do.  If things do not work, then it has to be fixed
>> > as we have users/customers around definitely use this feature.
>>
>> I doubt anybody will be able to fix all the issues. These customers
>> need to copy /usr to the rootfs if they want a supported system
>> running systemd.
>
> Those customers have payed for support including this feature
> and some of them exactly for this feature.  I'm not going to
> ignore this hard requirement for snugness.  If it is not possible
> for systemd to fulfille the LSB spec systemd is not ready for
> Enterprise products.
>
> It has to be possible to fulfill FHS not only in theory but
> in practice.  That is that if an network interface has to up
> for the NFS share /usr then systemd should support this.

The 1000ths time: it has nothing to do with systemd, and it fails
today already in many setups, also with sysv.

I'm so tired of the silly bugs it creates, it's time to move forward
and tell the guys that this isn't supported in today's reality. If
they wan to do it, systemd will not be in their way, random stuff will
just fail, just like it fails randomly with udev rules since years.

>> > As FHS specs are part of the LSB, all Enterprise prooducts should
>> > follow the FHS.
>>
>> LSB documents practice and can not dictate anything. Most distros do
>> not care much what's written there.
>
> As already told, this is wrong.

LSB means nothing for many distros, and you can tell it wrong, but it
will not change anything.

>> We are about to change some of the practice now, and I guess LSB needs
>> to be updated. :)
>
> You may try it.  Now let us see what happens.

What will happen is that /usr will be on the rootfs. :)

Kay