[systemd-devel] /usr on separate file system

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Mar 7 08:11:59 PST 2011

On Mon, 07.03.11 16:04, Dr. Werner Fink (werner at suse.de) wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 05:09:03PM +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> > > This does seem odd. Might I also point out...

> > > To boot a system, enough must be present on the root partition to mount other
> > > filesystems. This includes utilities, configuration, boot loader information,
> > > and other essential start-up data. /usr, /opt, and /var are designed such that
> > > they may be located on other partitions or filesystems.
> >
> > Well, turns out no distro really follows the spec here, do they?
>
> Hmmm ... AFAIK we do.  If things do not work, then it has to be fixed
> as we have users/customers around definitely use this feature.

Well, as a matter of fact this is not where we are right now and I doubt
it is worth "fixing" this.

And I do think this text answers all questions you might have:

http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken

> > I think this is mostly wishful thinking by some folks who wrote the FHS,
> > and does not describe what really is.
>
> As FHS specs are part of the LSB, all Enterprise prooducts should
> follow the FHS.

I doubt any really do. At least RHEL doesn't and SLES neither.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.