[systemd-devel] [PACKAGERS] rsyslog and systemd

Andrey Borzenkov arvidjaar at mail.ru
Tue Mar 8 12:08:13 PST 2011

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 1:49 AM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> Heya,
>
> in the past weeks a couple of folks have been asking about the rsyslog
> and systemd glue in systemd, and I never responded since this was still
> work in progress. Things should be all resolved now, so here's a
> heads-up in how things should work now:
>
> I have just sent a patch to rsyslog upstream:
>
> http://0pointer.de/public/0001-systemd-use-standard-syslog.socket-unit.patch
>
> This has the effect of making rsyslog and systemd-kmsg-syslogd listen on
> the exact same socket, so that we can start the latter during early boot
> and then replace it with the former during late boot, thus providing
> continuous logging from the point in time we systemd gets invoked up all
> the way to the end. And since systemd-kmsg-syslogd writes all /dev/log
> messages to kmsg and rsyslog flushes kmsg to disk as first thing we end
> up with a full set of messages on disk.
>
> For this to work properly you need to run current git (I'll probably
> release systemd 20 very soon though).

Testing v20 + rsyslog 5.6.2 + above patch I lose at least startup
message from rsyslog itself. Do I need newer version of rsyslog? I
must admit that I applied this patch on top of another one which added
systemd support, but it contained just systemd unit and suild-sys
stuff. Is any magic in rsyslogd itself required?