[systemd-devel] [PACKAGERS] rsyslog and systemd

Mike Kazantsev mk.fraggod at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 10:10:59 PST 2011

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 16:55:28 +0100
Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 11.03.11 09:15, Mike Kazantsev (mk.fraggod at gmail.com) wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 23:49:45 +0100
> > Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Heya,
> > >
> > > in the past weeks a couple of folks have been asking about the rsyslog
> > > and systemd glue in systemd, and I never responded since this was still
> > > work in progress. Things should be all resolved now, so here's a
> > > heads-up in how things should work now:
> > >
> > > I have just sent a patch to rsyslog upstream:
> > >
> > > http://0pointer.de/public/0001-systemd-use-standard-syslog.socket-unit.patch
> >
> > Is there any reason why it resorts to "ExecStartPre=/bin/systemctl
> > stop ..." instead of just using "Conflicts=systemd-kmsg-syslogd.service"?
> >
> > Both seem to equally work for me, but I wonder if there's some subtle
> > pitfall in Conflicts= for this case, so you avoid to use it.
>
> They do different things.
>
> The bootup transaction covers the entire boot. If you use Conflicts=
> then only one of the to syslog implementations can be part of it, and
> the other is removed. However we want both syslogs to be part of the
> transaction, and both started, one during early boot and one during late
> boot. Hence we allow both in the transaction, but modify the transaction
> later on when rsyslog is ready to start.

Understood.

Still, syslog.socket is the thing that gets into a bootup transaction,
not the systemd-kmsg-syslogd.service, right?
Guess the latter just won't be started as long as rsyslog.service
hangs in the jobs queue, produced by that transaction.

Btw, rsyslog.service seem to be installed into multi-user.target.wants,
why not syslog.target, which seem to indicate the point where proper
syslog daemon is running (according to systemd.special(7))?

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net