[systemd-devel] systemd-logger and external syslog daemon

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Mar 15 21:33:47 PDT 2011

On Sat, 12.03.11 16:31, Andrey Borzenkov (arvidjaar at mail.ru) wrote:

> > Basically what Kay suggested.
> >
> > Facilities might not be the most powerful idea ever invented, but they
> > are useful to distuingish kernel from userspace messages, as there is
> > LOG_KERNEL for the former and all other facilities for the latter.
> >

> Attached patch preserves full syslog facility marker and simply emits
> it back. So userspace is free to feed any facility it deems
> appropriate, not only LOG_USER.

This is a good approach. Kay has independently prepped a patch for this
now and it is already on its way into the kernel. It is hence very
likely that pretty soon there's no reason anymore to strip the facility
from the log messages before echoing them into /proc/kmsg.

As soon as that patch is in the standard kernel I'll fix systemd to no
longer strip the facility. Kay will do the same for udev. And Harald
hopefully for Dracut too. And then all messages should contain the same
amount of information regardless which way the took to the syslog
daemon: directly via the /dev/log socket, or indirectly via the kmsg queue.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.