[systemd-devel] crypto: to show stars or not to show them

Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri barbieri at profusion.mobi
Wed Mar 16 06:37:20 PDT 2011

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 9:21 AM, Jan Engelhardt <jengelh at medozas.de> wrote:

> On Wednesday 2011-03-16 04:30, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>
>>After X is up all password prompts do give input feedback
>
> The presence of X does not change behavior of console programs.
>
> Well, as I mentioned earlier, certain implementations use a
> three-star-per-character so that there is at least some feedback. How
> about using that?
>
> Or, something crazy that just came to my mind is using one (or
> more) U+2501 per input character. Provided you have a proper
> font, this will produce a continuous line which is harder to
> estimate than chars having blank pixels between them.

I agree with lennart, this paranoia is worthless. If you want to be
paranoid then do the right thing and use a big pass phrase and avoid
people reading your screen altogether, if it's a laptop use proper
screen films to avoid other problems.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems