[systemd-devel] [PACKAGERS] rsyslog and systemd

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Mar 16 16:51:32 PDT 2011

On Wed, 16.03.11 10:58, Andrey Borzenkov (arvidjaar at mail.ru) wrote:

> >> convinced that rsyslog.service should hook itself into syslog.target.
> >>

> > What is syslog.target then good for?
>
> I consider it to be more of a virtual provide for specific syslog
> implementation.

My look on the whole situation is actually that these targets are
stopgaps in a world where not all daemons are socket activatable and
where some daemons are written in a way that they assume that the
network is always up and does not change dynamically.

In a world where where all services are socket activatable and all
daemons subscribe properly to netlink we don't need neither
syslog.target nor network.target, because the syslog daemon is always
accessible and it doesn't matter anymore when the network is configured
and when not.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.