[systemd-devel] "Inactive/dead" services that are enabled are indistinguishable from unused or oneshot services

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Mar 16 17:39:19 PDT 2011

On Thu, 24.02.11 13:55, Mike Kazantsev (mk.fraggod at gmail.com) wrote:

> Something like "systemctl --enabled" would certainly be much more
> useful for such cases than the current "systemctl --all", yet
> there will still be a lot of "oneshot" stuff, which are supposed to be
> dead, so a separate state for "!oneshot && enabled && exited" services
> like "stopped" (in place of "inactive") and maybe a view like "systemctl
> --stopped" would be of a great help from my sysadmin's perspective.

Hmm, thinking about this: wouldn't it be a lot more useful for your case
if we add an option which cuases services to enter fail if a service
exits cleanly, but does so for no reason, i.e. without being asked to do
that from systemd?

or maybe that should even be the default for most services? After all
only services which implement exit-on-idle would otherwise exit cleanly
just for fun without being asked for that...

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.