[systemd-devel] "Inactive/dead" services that are enabled are indistinguishable from unused or oneshot services

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Mar 17 15:20:33 PDT 2011

On Thu, 17.03.11 12:52, Mike Kazantsev (mk.fraggod at gmail.com) wrote:

> > --query Type=socket,dbus
> >
> > The latter is probably the way to go as it can be used to implement
> > any custom query. And add better output format control of course :) It
> > just needs some proper, but not too complicated, syntax.
> >
> > Is it good enough for TODO?
>
> I think it'd be great, although syntax could be problematic indeed if
> "and" and "or" logic would be implemented.
>
> Simpliest (from my pov) thing that comes to mind is perl / bash /
> libpcap / etc syntax like "rule1 && ( rule2 || rule3 ) && ! rule4",
> disallowing multiple values for the sake of unity (i.e. "Type=socket ||
> Type=dbus" instead of "Type=socket,dbus").

Hmm, I am not convinced we want to come up with our own matching syntax
there.

A different approach might be to just use awk here. awk has been
invented for this kind of matching. So it might be nicer to just have a
mode where we have an output that is easily processable by awk, and then
people can do all matching with awk?

awk is pretty well known and widely spoken. And I think it is pretty
good with CSV style dumps, so maybe we should just support that nicely...

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.