[systemd-devel] "Inactive/dead" services that are enabled are indistinguishable from unused or oneshot services

Mike Kazantsev mk.fraggod at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 23:24:49 PDT 2011

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 23:04:20 +0100
Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 17.03.11 09:52, Andrey Borzenkov (arvidjaar at mail.ru) wrote:
> > > I understand that there's already a looong TODO, but maybe it's possible
> > > to cram such systemctl view option(s) somewhere in that list?
> > >

> > I was vaguely thinking about adding generic selection option to
> > replace current ad-hoc ones, something like
> >
> > --state=enabled,!exited
>
> ! on the sell is always a bit weird. But this might be a good idea to
> have.
>
> > or even allowing generic filtering on specific property, like
> >
> > --query Type=socket,dbus
>
> Hmm, having this would make systemctl almost an SQL database ;-)
>
> I think we should try to figure out what exactly we need, instead of
> losing ourselves in inventing new matching languages. systemctl already
> has quite a long man page, and I'd prefer if it wouldnt become a novel.
>
> Maybe one option would be to introduce it as seperate 'systemd-query'
> tool or so?

Separate tool sound like a great idea to me.

It'd also be nice if such tool had either machine-parseable output or
some other interface, so it can be easily hooked up into existing
monitoring solutions via snmp (for example) or provided some GUI or web
interface without the need to re-implement querying logic again and
again in each of these.

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net