No subject

Fri Mar 18 03:13:05 PDT 2011

> With bootchart, I find more I/O at boot compared with no readahead,
> see attachment noreadahead-vs-readahead.png.
> Thoughts: Maybe we need only monitor files with read access, not all
> opend files? P.S. inotify seems enough for the job (with one more step
> to open each file).
>
> 2. udev-settle.service serializes the boot process, see attachment
> udev-settle.png.

I have feeling that increased parallelism during boot (like starting
fsck/mount as soon as device becomes available) actually has negative
effect on consumer grade devices. My HDD in notebook simply is not
prepared for it ...

> I tried to create a hotplug.target(which is activated after
> default.target), and made udev-settle reside at it, this rendered a
> unbootable system. systemd depends on udev at early time.
> Thoughts: devtmpfs is mounted, so all cold-plug jobs can be done
> without udev involved.
> IMHO, fast boot doesn't mean get all services ready in a short time,
> but means popup an UI as soon as possible. Windows seems do hotplug
> jobs after user log in.

Mandriva uses so called "speedboot" with sysvint - where GUI is
started as soon as possible. It is handcrafted so that only several
device classes are coldplugged and then DM is launched effectively
from rc.sysinit already.

Users did mention that boot under systemd actually feels slower then
using sysvinit.