[systemd-devel] Improve boot-time of systemd

fykcee1 at gmail.com fykcee1 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 02:19:14 PDT 2011

Hi,

2011/3/18 Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri <barbieri at profusion.mobi>:
>  2. should we do (or have a way to) force a manual ordering to help
> Xorg/DM/WM by avoiding spawn of concurrent services? We know these
> have the higher priority, but it's a higher priority only during
> startup, later on they should all have the same priority... otherwise
> we could just do it by means of systemd's service settings.
I prefer to start UI first, and then UI notifies systemd to start more services.
The original boot sequence seems server-oriented, and I need
desktop-oriented boot sequence -- let most services start AFTER a
usable basic UI popup.

2011/3/18 Kay Sievers <kay.sievers at vrfy.org>:
>> But it could be improved yes. As you all said, maybe we should handle
>> udev hotplug in a more throttled way by postponing non-critical
>> devices and having everything else to be hotplug aware?
>
> That's not really possible, you can not really make such list, and you
> need to handle all parent devices from all 'interesting' devices
> anyway to expose them.
Maybe we can add some .device units(This currently doesn't work,
systemd reads device information from udev, also no "device section"
support). These units belongs a fastboot target, only works for
devices of one type.
Device vendor will benefit from such a mechanism.

BTW, I succeeded to boot a udev-less system(modifies gett at .service to
get rid dependency on dev-tty*.device). The bootchart diagram(see
attachment) looks good, but still has a "wait" behind systemd-logger,
any idea?

--
Regards,
- cee1