[systemd-devel] use /run instead of /dev/.run

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Fri Mar 25 13:48:17 PDT 2011

Andrey Borzenkov (arvidjaar at gmail.com) said:
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 7:07 AM, Kay Sievers <kay.sievers at vrfy.org> wrote:
> > Instead of the /dev/.run trick we have currently implemented, we decided
> > to move the early-boot runtime dir to /run.
> >

> What is the benefit? /var/run is well known and established; what is
> the reason to move it in another place?

/var/run depends on /var, which is allowed to be a separate filesystem, and
therefore not available during all portions of the boot process or shutdown.

Having a single /run available before, during, and post-boot allows for
a much cleaner implementation. Applications can still use /var/run and
have their paths work, of course.

Bill