[systemd-devel] use /run instead of /dev/.run

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Mon Mar 28 06:33:41 PDT 2011

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 13:28, Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel at suse.de> wrote:
> Bill Nottingham wrote:
>> Andrey Borzenkov (arvidjaar at gmail.com) said:
>> > >

>> > What is the benefit? /var/run is well known and established; what is
>> > the reason to move it in another place?
>>
>> /var/run depends on /var, which is allowed to be a separate filesystem, and
>> therefore not available during all portions of the boot process or shutdown.
>
> mount --bind /var/run /mnt
> mount /var
> mount -M /mnt /var/run

We would need to make sure that /var/run exists on the rootfs then. We
could probably do that on shutdown, but it's not really fun to rely on
such things.

Anyway, "run" and "lock" did not belong below /var in the first place,
hence the move to the top-level. They contain stuff that exists only
during runtime, and they should never safed to disk, unlike /var.

Kay