[systemd-devel] use /run instead of /dev/.run

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Mar 28 14:55:01 PDT 2011

On Mon, 28.03.11 23:46, Jan Engelhardt (jengelh at medozas.de) wrote:

> On Monday 2011-03-28 23:04, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 25.03.11 05:07, Kay Sievers (kay.sievers at vrfy.org) wrote:
> >
> >> Instead of the /dev/.run trick we have currently implemented, we decided
> >> to move the early-boot runtime dir to /run.
> >
> >Applied (and fixed a few minor issues).
>
> Uhm, *cough*. There are a handful of dot-dirs in /dev, such as
> .sysconfig (seems to be my distro), .systemd, and .udev. Now util-linux
> 2.19 has also started using a directory in /dev, namely .mount.
> And now /run gets a non-standard exception? Fail to see the logic.

It's the other way round.

We want to get rid of the hidden-files-in-/dev mess. Hence all those
dirs will move to /run/ and /var/run will simply point to that.

The end result is: all runtime data at the same place in /run (and
/var/run), regardless whether needed already during early boot, or only
later on. No more hidden files in /dev. One tmpfs less, since /var/lock
and /var/run both live in /run. And the lifecycle of file systems is
clear is dependentend only by the name in the root dir. Lifecycle
semantics do not change the deeper you go down the tree. (By that I
mean, that /var is now strictly "variable, but persistant" data, and
/run is "variable, but volatile" data, and /var/run no longer has different
lifecycle options than /var even though it is beneath it.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.