[systemd-devel] user space boot time < 1s (was: Parallel startup with sockets and without killing the machine?)

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Mon May 9 13:19:58 PDT 2011

Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
> If you want to be fast, then I can help you with E17 setup, it's
> faster than starting GNOME by a great margin ;-)

Help is welcome. GNOME might have the benefit of being slightly more
familiar to visitors though. Many end users at LinuxTag.

> All I'd ask you is an SSD to make it faster, since loading stuff
> from disk takes time.

Yes sure, we are very much used to flash in coreboot land, because we
do not want to wait for hard drive spindles.

> slim (DM,  in autologin mode) with standard Enlightenment E17 (if you
> get it from SVN we collapsed/merged some modules/.so so it's even
> faster as there is less runtime work).

The ideal would be to have a ready-to-boot-sans-LILO system tarball.
(Think Gentoo stage4.)

//Peter