[systemd-devel] Parallel startup with sockets and without killing the machine?

Scott James Remnant scott at netsplit.com
Mon May 9 19:52:56 PDT 2011

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri <
barbieri at profusion.mobi> wrote:

>> Well, right now let's make clear that Firefox/Chromium or other X clients
>> won't be started by systemd as they are user session applications, and
>> systemd itself will just deal with system context (ie: up to GDM/KDM...).
>>

> Really?

A major feature of systemd I understood was that it would also manage user
sessions as a seamless part of boot along with the system session. Is that
not the case?

> But using your case, just like I said above, you really want that. You'd
> chromium and X11 to be loaded at the same time, because the kernel will
> handle the load and may load chromium executable while X11 is doing EDID
> read, then may let the dynamic linker work while X11 asks for input device,
> etc.
>
> Or the kernel might load Chromium completely before giving X any time at
all; between picking the right thing and the wrong thing, without
information, the kernel seems to more usually pick the latter.

Scott