[systemd-devel] [bug?] screen not working correctly under systemd

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu May 19 05:41:39 PDT 2011

On Thu, 19.05.11 14:47, microcai (microcai at fedoraproject.org) wrote:

> When you ssh to an systemd machine, and start a screen session, detach
> and logout.
>
> Then this screen session will be wipe out by systemd, so , when you
> login back, there will be no screen session out there.
>

> Is this a bug? of screen or systemd?

As you already found out pam_systemd solves your problem. The background is the following:

If you do not use pam_systemd then all user processes started by getty
or sshd will be killed when sshd or getty dies, since they are in the
same cgroup and we kill all remaining processes of a daemon when it
dies.

If you use pam_systemd then the user processes will be moved into a
per-session cgroup, and thus killing the sshd cgroup will have no effect
on it.

Administrators can configure pam_systemd to also kill user processes
when the session ends, but this is not enabled by default. (You can do
it with a pam_systemd parameter.)

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.