[systemd-devel] WorkingDirectory in service file

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Nov 24 12:51:19 PST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Christian Hesse at 23/11/11 20:07 did gyre and gimble:
> Christian Hesse <list at eworm.de> on Tue, 22 Nov 2011 14:44:01 +0100:
>> [...]
>> Looks like WorkingDirectory is ignored and the real working directory
>> is / as I have to call scripts within the configuration with absolute
>> paths. pwd run inside a script gives "/".
>> Everything works as expected (with relative paths) when launching
>> openvpn from /etc/openvpn manually. Any hints what goes wrong?
>
> Ok, solved this...
> systemd works as expected but openvpn does a chdir("/") when forking to
> background. In respect to daemon(3) this seems to be the expected
> behavior.

One "solution" here might be to not call --daemon NAME, but instead call
--syslog NAME and set Type=simple in the systemd unit.

This should keep openvpn in the foreground and use systemd's
backgounding and hopefully the WorkingDirectory thing will work.

Not sure if you really need this, or if it was more of a random query..

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie